by Hafizur Rahman
A total of 73 fishermen detained in Myanmar have returned to Bangladesh on February 16, 2026, officials said. The group includes 66 Bangladeshi nationals and seven Rohingya fishermen.
According to authorities, the fishermen were received at the Naf River zero line and later brought to Teknaf jetty. Local administration representatives and law enforcement agencies verified the identities of the returnees before beginning the process of handing them over to their families.
Officials said the fishermen had been detained at different times in 2025 after reportedly crossing into Myanmar waters while fishing in the Bay of Bengal. They were taken to areas under the control of the Arakan Army, where they were held for varying periods.
Authorities in Cox’s Bazar said coordination took place among regional security agencies, and communication was established with the Arakan Army to secure their release on humanitarian grounds.
The return of the fishermen has brought relief to their families, who had been waiting for months in uncertainty. Officials said efforts are continuing to facilitate the safe return of other fishermen who remain detained.


