Follow-up reporting finds that the suspect has been arrested in Dhaka, while the surviving child continues to face complications from his injuries.
by Hafizur Rahman
Cox’s Bazar, 21 August 2026: A Rohingya man accused of killing his wife and young son and seriously injuring another child in Camp 6 has been arrested by police in Dhaka, according to information gathered by Rohingya Khobor from the victim’s family.
The killings took place on July 9 in Block B, Sub-block B6 of Camp 6 in Ukhiya. The man is accused of killing his wife and youngest son during the attack. Another son, known as Bappe, survived with serious injuries.
According to the family, the suspect fled after the incident and was later arrested in Dhaka, where he had been working as a security guard at an office. Rohingya Khobor has not yet independently confirmed the date of the arrest or the police unit that detained him.
Police have filed a murder case against the suspect over the deaths of his wife and son, family sources said. Police have also told the family that the investigation remains ongoing.
The Bangladesh Legal Aid and Services Trust, or BLAST, assisted in referring the case to the Armed Police Battalion, according to the family. APBn subsequently investigated the incident, they said.
The surviving child was initially taken to the IRC Primary Health Centre in Camp 6 before being admitted to Chattogram Medical College Hospital. He was later transferred to a private hospital for further treatment.
Family members said he developed an infection in his right ear following the attack and continues to face hearing-related problems and other complications from his injuries.
They said his recovery has been difficult and fear that some of the effects of the attack could remain with him as he grows older.
The case has also raised questions about whether earlier warning signs received sufficient attention.
Relatives said the suspect had previously threatened members of his wife’s family, including her parents and brothers, and had allegedly told them that he would kill them.
According to the family, the threats were reported to police and the Camp-in-Charge office before the killings. Rohingya Khobor has not independently verified whether written complaints or other official records were filed at the time.
The family said it has not received sustained assistance from humanitarian agencies for the surviving child following the attack.
They said UNHCR assisted with procedures related to the post-mortem examinations of the two deceased victims, but no longer-term support has so far been provided to the injured child.
Community members said incidents of domestic violence and serious family disputes are generally reported to the Camp-in-Charge and other camp authorities when residents become aware of them.
However, there is currently insufficient information to determine whether domestic violence cases are increasing across the camps.
The Camp 6 case has nevertheless renewed concern over how threats of serious family violence are assessed, how quickly authorities respond after complaints are made, and what protection is available for children who survive such attacks.
For the injured child, the consequences of the incident continue beyond the criminal case. His family is calling for continued medical treatment, protection and longer-term support as he recovers from injuries sustained in the attack that killed his mother and younger brother.


