On Monday (30 January) the Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) Rmen Sharma said that the Rohingyas sheltered in Tumbru Bazar, who lost their homes in the fire at the Zero Line of Naikkongchari in Bandarban, will soon be shifted elsewhere as per the decision of concerned authorities.
They may be shifted to Ukhiya or Teknaf refugee camps. The shifting process will not take much time as protecting the environment and their safety is the main issue, Sharma said.
The counting of Rohingyas sheltered in Tumbru Bazar has just been completed after two days survey, where 2,889 people found in 537 families.
Meanwhile, an official of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Society (ICRC) in Cox’s Bazar said on condition of anonymity that at the end of 2017, they distributed food to more than 6,000 Rohingyas who fled Myanmar and crossed the Tumbru zero line. Later it gradually came down to 4,000. Now finally their number stood at 2,889
Earlier on January 18, Hamid Ullah, a Rohingya, was killed and two others were injured in a shooting-fire incident at the Rohingya camp on the zero line of Tumbru border in Naikkongchari. At this time, the homes of Rohingyas living on the zero line were burnt. After that they took shelter in Tumbru Bazar.