Today early morning a fire suddenly started from a clothes shop at Zamtoli Rohingya market in camp 15 of Ukhiya police station.
A shop keeper said, “We saw smoking coming out of local Shahabuddin’s clothes shop and as we reached the spot fire was seen that spread around the area and went out of control. Without any delay, we informed the matter to camp authority over phone and within a while two units of fire fighters from Ukhiya came and distinguished the fire.”
“32 shops have been burnt to ashes in the fire. There is loss of more than 10 million Bangladeshi taka,” Jamal Uddin, chairman of Bazar committee claimed.
Imdadul Haque, in-charge of Ukhia Fire Service Station, said that initially, it is being believed that the fire started from an electrical short circuit. Businessmen are claiming that the amount of damage can exceed crores.
The frequent blazing around the camp created panic among the peace loving general Rohingya refugees.