August 23, 2023
It has been six years since the massive exodus of Rohingyas took place in August 2017. Initially, it
was perceived that Myanmar cannot get away for very long with atrocities and crimes against
humanity of such magnitude. Despite regional power’s support and some permanent members’
support in the UN Security Council, the condemnation of the act was overwhelming worldwide. And
it has been a matter of shame for the international community that it has done so little to prevent the
Rohingya crisis as it was evolving, to at least alleviate with generous humanitarian aid the misery and
stress that it continues to generate and to find a long-term solution to its underlying causes.
The Rohingya crisis, and the larger Myanmar crisis of which it is part, continues to be one of the
world’s most harrowing and heartbreaking. It has been a tragedy for the Rohingya people, subject to
genocidal persecution in their long-established Rakhine homeland, driven across Bangladesh. In
pursuit of seeking a durable solution, the Arakan Rohingya National Alliance (ARNA) would like to
host a webinar for the Genocide Commemoration Day on August 25, 2023.
Therefore, ARNA would like to invite Rohingya and all other friends of the Rohingya Community to
join a panel discussion via Zoom.
The Speakers of the Panel are as follows:
- Mr. Nurul Islam, Chair of ARNA
- Lt. General Dr Mahfuzur Rahman, Former PSO of the Armed Force Division of
Bangladesh and Former Defence Secretary to the Prime Minister of Bangladesh
- Tan Sri Dr Syed Hamid Albar, Former Foreign and Defence of Malaysia, Former OIC
Envoy for Myanmar
- The Phillip Ruddock, Former Attorney General of Australia
- Dr Graham Thom, Refugee Co-Ordinator of Amnesty International Australia
The Event is on August 25 2023.
It starts at 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM, Sydney Time, Australia.
The moderator of the Event is Dr Hla Myint, Foreign Secretary of ARNA.
Agenda of the Program:
- Introduction Remarks by Mr Nurul Islam. (10 Minutes)
- Situation of Rohingya Refugees by Dr Graham Thom. (15 Minutes)
- Military Analysis on the prospect for Rohingya Repatriation and the option for
Bangladesh by Lt. General Dr Mahfuzur Rahman. (15 Minutes)