The man’s wife says he had been abducted two days earlier and that the family paid Tk150,000 for his release, but the allegation has not been independently verified.
by Hafizur Rahman
CAMP 18, Cox’s Bazar, 18 August 2026: A Rohingya man was found in critical condition in Camp 18 on Monday morning, two days after he was allegedly abducted, according to his family and local residents.
The man was identified as Zia Ur Rahaman, a resident of H-50 in Block B, Majhi Section M17.
Residents said he was discovered shortly after Fajr prayers on 17 August by a man who noticed him in a severely weakened condition and alerted others nearby.
People from a nearby mosque went to the location and informed Zia’s family. He was then taken for urgent medical treatment.
Further details about his injuries and current medical condition were not immediately available.
Wife Alleges Kidnapping and Ransom Payment
Zia’s wife told Rohingya Khobor that he had been abducted by people known to him two days before he was found.
She alleged that those responsible demanded money from the family and that Tk150,000 was paid before his release.
Rohingya Khobor could not independently verify the alleged kidnapping, the identity of those involved or the reported ransom payment.
It was also not immediately clear whether the family had filed a complaint with police or the Armed Police Battalion responsible for security in the refugee camps.
No official statement concerning the incident was available at the time of publication.
Kidnapping and ransom demands have remained a recurring security concern in the Rohingya refugee camps, with families in several camps reporting abductions and demands for payment in recent years.
Rohingya Khobor is seeking further information on Zia’s condition and any investigation into the circumstances surrounding the alleged abduction.


